Monday, February 16, 2009

Designing


When I started doing stained glass as a hobby, I never thought of myself as being artistic. After 16 years of working with patterns and adapting them to fit the window size and sketching designs that there aren't patterns for, it's amazing what you pick up and learn. When you cut out the glass for a panel, you also learn that some patterns work better than others. You find yourself saying, "This is a really bad design", and you change it.


I'm at the point now where there are many patterns that I've enjoyed making, but sometimes, I just want to do my own thing, an original. Well I have done this several times but now I'm determined to do it more often. Naturally, there are some days I feel more creative than other days.


A few days ago on Valentine's day, I got the spring time urge to fill my studio with birds and flowers. Not only do my customers love and buy them, but they bring me alot of joy. So I pulled out the old standard robin pattern and started choosing glass. Then it hit me, that I could design a nice robin. And it would be my own. So, I went to work. If you know me, you know that when I start a glass project, and the momentum picks up, I like to keep going until I'm finished.


I hope you enjoy this labour of love. Feel free to use the pattern, but please always give credit where credit is due (a great life principle).

No comments:

Post a Comment