Monday, November 2, 2009

Promoting Business at Shows

The more shows I do, the more I learn. Well that's a good thing isn't it? It's very important to be able to identify with your clients and adjust to their needs.

The first major thing I've learned is that it's not all about sales. Now maybe for many vendors, it is about the bottom line. For me, it's important that place my business before the public in a variety of avenues. Print and internet advertising are necessary but so is physical presence. And for me, working long hours in my studio, it's a welcome opportunity to have conversation with the public and feel their pulse on visual art. It's at these gatherings that people tell me what their interests them.

Home shows, rural fairs, art shows, studio tours and Christmas Craft shows are all quite unique. At a Christmas show I will basically sell small seasonal items, but also take medium priced pieces that could be enjoyed year round. At an art show, I love to introduce new and creative ideas. The prices tend to be more upper end. At a studio tour it's nice to be able to demonstrate with a project that you're working on, promoting custom work. It's also a great opportunity to promote classes as many people who do artisan tours are creative themselves. Fairs and home shows are good places to show some custom ideas to give people ideas and to plant the seed for a personal project for their home.

Shows are a networking opportunity with other small business owners. What a chance to meet and share ideas with other like minded (and some not so like minded) people. Vendors are mostly there for the length of the show and sometimes if you do a number of shows you might greet them on a regular basis. Get to know them, ask questions, introduce other entrepreneurs.

And most liberating for me, I've learn to relax and enjoy the shows. Sometimes it can be stressful packing and unpacking, especially when your product is glass. But try to enjoy the setting up and each aspect of the show. I personally don't do alot of them however there are show seasons. I found by the time the last show came, I had a good idea of how to load the van and set up the booth. Well, better late than never.

The main purpose for my shows this season was to help people dream of possibilities. I took exhibits that helped them to see what could be done. Pamphlets for custom work and classes always graced the end of the tables along with my business cards. One day I actually ran out - try not to let that happen!

Have you done shows with your artwork or craft? Let me know, I'd love to hear your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment